While usually we like to keep our posts informative, every so often it’s always fun to keep things light! Here are 20 fun facts about dogs that will make you love your four-legged friend even more
1. Dogs are capable of understanding up 250 words and gestures! Basically the average dog has the same intelligence as a 2-year-old child.
2. Dogs have super powers! Okay not really, but their eyes do contain a special membrane, called the tapetum lucidum, which allows them to see in the dark. Pretty super if you ask us!
3. In total there is said to be around 400 million dogs in the world!
4. Another super power… Dog have superior hearing compared to humans; they are capable of hearing sounds at four times the distance!
5. Alexander the Great is said to have founded and named a city Peritas, in memory of his dog (aw!)
6. Dogs have about 1,700 taste buds!
7. The wetness of a dog’s nose is essential for determining what direction a smell is coming from.
8. New Zealand loves dogs so much they have a building shaped like a dog!
9. The most popular breed of dog in the world by registered ownership is the Labrador.
10. There are only 2 breeds of dogs that don’t have pink tongues; the Chow Chow and the Shar-pei both have black tongues.
11. An adult dog has 42 teeth!
12. Dachshunds were bred to fight badgers in their dens.
13. The Beatles song “A day in the Life” has an extra high-pitched whistle, audible only to dogs. Paul McCartney recorded it for the enjoyment of his Shetland sheepdog.
14. Your dog won’t feel guilty! Don’t be fooled by those puppy dog eyes, it turns out they are not a sign of guilt. In fact research found they are just the way we interpret a dog’s reaction to being scolded.
15. Canines can smell disease! Research has found that dogs have the ability to recognize the smell of a range of organic compounds that show the human body isn’t working as it should!
16. Dogs use their ears to express themselves! With more than a dozen separate muscles controlling the ear movement its no wonder dogs are so expressive with their ears.
17. Dogs have their own unique fingerprint! A paw print may look completely generic but a dogs nose print is actually as unique as a human fingerprint!
18. Dogs can fall in love! It may sound farfetched but just like us dogs can find that special someone. Research found that found that a dog’s brain releases oxytocin – the love hormone – when it interacts with humans and dogs, just the same as a human brain does when we hug or kiss.
19. The breed Lundehune has 6 toes and can close its ears!
20. 70% of people sign their pet’s name on greeting and holiday cards!